Social Recognition is defined as an “employee reward and recognition methodology.”
An effective Social Recognition program doesn’t happen without planning. Employee rewards start with showing appreciation for the efforts to contribute to the team. But there’s so much more to offer constructive recognition to employees that might not receive the recognition they deserve.
Failure to recognize the contribution of team members is one of the reasons that employees quit.
apartment communities can’t function without the housekeeping, maintenance and grounds crew. They clean the common areas, care for the grounds and prepare apartment homes for new residents. Team recognition from colleagues, prospects or vendors can be as valuable to employee retention as compensation and benefits.
Housekeeping and Maintenance teams are the backbone of every Property Management staff. Ownership of the finished product increases by acknowledging and recognizing the efforts of staff.
Start the social recognition environment during the leasing process and the move in appointment. Include the Maintenance or housekeeping team for quick introductions with new residents.
The Hospitality Model
- The hospitality industry incorporates this recognition with comment cards left in guest rooms and signed by the housekeeper. For apartment communities a welcome letter signed by maintenance, housekeepers and any contractors who participated in the turnover preparation of the apartment home can initiate this recognition.
- Include a Team Introduction Letter in the Welcome Move In Package. The letter, including pictures of the entire team must be revised with any staff changes. In addition to names and photos, include years of service and a handy tip.
- You can recognize the housekeeping team with postcards on hallway bulletin boards with the tag line, “This hallway is professionally cleaned for you by ….” This creates another opportunity to recognize the housekeeping crew.
Knowing Who To Expect
I recently experienced the inconvenience of having my luggage delayed on a flight. When my luggage was located, I received an email telling me the plans to deliver my luggage with photos of the delivery person and the vehicle they would arrive in. Wouldn’t this be an awesome customer service tool when residents request after hours service!
Including a column or post in the community newsletter from the housekeeping, grounds or maintenance team is another opportunity to recognize the experience and skills of the team. Tips for maintenance repairs or why they chose to work at our property could be subject ideas.
Housekeeping, grounds and maintenance performance are the key influencers in the lease renewal decision. Building on this relationship throughout the time a resident occupies an apartment home strengthens the bonds between a resident and the staff.
What can you do today to recognize members of your team?
- Asking “Is Your Move In Date Flexible?” - April 7, 2021
- Increase Occupancy With Word of Mouth Referrals - March 31, 2021
- The Role of Social Recognition in Employee Retention - March 24, 2021