What would you include include in the list of benefits offered by your company? provided benefits: health insurance, life insurance, paid holidays, paid time away. These are a few benefits that dominate onboarding conversations. A description of company provided training indicates to a new hire, how we will help them learn their current job and the path for them to prepare for future opportunities.
Training, as defined in Wikipedia is teaching, or developing in oneself or others, any skills and knowledge that relate to specific useful competencies. Training has specific goals of improving one’s capability, capacity, productivity and performance. In addition to the basic training required for a trade, occupation or profession, observers of the labor-market recognize the need to continue training beyond initial qualifications: to maintain, upgrade and update skills throughout working life. People within many professions and occupations may refer to this sort of training as professional development.
How we view and present training opportunities will determine if our team see training as a benefit or a burden.
The difference in impact is obvious. But why do we continue to present training as an inconvenience?
No matter how you look at it, education isn’t free; whether it’s an on-line course, or a live instructor.
Training is An Investment
There are several items to consider when determining the value of a seminar. Whether there is a fee for an instructor, or simply the time and registration costs for an online course, it is an expense to the property. We also need to consider the value or application of the content.
We have to plan in advance. dering the Keeping the property moving toward goals while someone is participating in the educational event.
Property management doesn’t stop to wait while someone is in training. Remaining staff members, temporary labor or staff borrowed from a sister property may be needed to turn apartments, give attention to the grounds or complete service requests for residents.
Other cost considerations:
- Transportation To/From the host location.
- Time in transit, plus mileage
- Hotels for overnight stays.
- Meals, Snacks, Give-a-ways
- For internal educational programs, meals, snacks, welcome gifts name tags, place cards and hand outs have to be planned, purchased and repaired.
A comparison of educational opportunities using internal company provided speakers versus third party/commercial training opportunity might actually be comparable in cost when all of the related expenses are identified.
Selecting an individual for training is an investment both in the future of the individual and the future productivity of your team. If an individual participates in an educational event, ask them to give a quick recap at the next team meeting.
As a insructional opportunity is presented:
- Identify and recognize learning objectives that are to be achieved.
- Look at the assigned work scheduled for the week in advance.
- How will the training affect manpower? Make adjustments in advance.
- Meet with the individual who will attend the event.
- Provide an overview of the training.
- What will be expected of the individual?
- What should they expect from the training?
Presenting instructional opportunities as positive reinforcement, a reward for achievement, strengthening and building skills, or a step forward in a career path will have your team saying PICK ME! PICK ME! when a training opportunity is available.
- Increase Resident Referrals - May 26, 2021
- Update Team Meeting Agenda With Recaps - May 19, 2021
- Don’t Underestimate The Value Of A Leasing Appointment - May 12, 2021