Failure to recognize the contribution of team members is one of the reasons that employees quit. All too often, the preparation teams at our properties aren’t recognized for their efforts. We couldn’t function without the housekeeping, maintenance and grounds crew. They clean the common areas, care for the grounds and prepare apartment homes for new residents. Team recognition to colleagues, prospects or vendors can be as valuable to employee retention as compensation and benefits.
Housekeeping and Maintenance teams are the backbone of every Property Management staff. We can create more ownership by emphasizing and recognizing the efforts of staff.
We can start the recognition environment during the leasing process or move in event. Maintenance or housekeeping could be scheduled for quick introductions with new residents.
The Hospitality Model
- The hospitality industry incorporates this recognition with comment cards left in guest rooms and signed by the housekeeper. For apartment communities a welcome letter signed by maintenance, housekeepers and any contractors who participated in the turnover preparation of the apartment home can initiate this recognition.
- Included in the Welcome Move In Package should be a Team Introduction Letter. The letter including pictures of the entire team must be revised with any staff changes. With pictures of the team listing names, years of service and a tip or quote offers a personalized note.
- Post cards on hallway bulletin boards in each hallway with the tag line, “This hallway is professionally cleaned for you by ….” Offers another opportunity to recognize the housekeeping crew.
Knowing Who To Expect
4. I recently experienced the inconvenience of having my luggage delayed on a flight. When my luggage was located, I received an email telling me the plans to deliver my luggage with photos of the delivery person and the vehicle. Wouldn’t this be an awesome customer service tool when residents request after hours service!
5. Including a column or post in the community newsletter from the housekeeping, grounds or maintenance team is another opportunity to recognize the team. Tips for maintenance repairs or why they chose to work at our property could be subject ideas.
6. Housekeeping, grounds and maintenance performance are the key contributors in the lease renewal decision. Building on this relationship throughout the time a resident occupies an apartment home strengthens the bonds between a resident and the staff.
What can you do today to recognize members of your team?
- Increase Resident Referrals - May 26, 2021
- Update Team Meeting Agenda With Recaps - May 19, 2021
- Don’t Underestimate The Value Of A Leasing Appointment - May 12, 2021