In Memory of Holly Martin
It’s been three years since Holly’s death, her joy for living and love for others, is her legacy. A leader, mentor and facilitator of training programs during the early organization of the PMAMM, and PMAM..her contributions to the property management industry influenced careers of many.
Thank you Holly.
DailyOM Library : Holly Hunting Martin : Why We Should Sign Up to be 5 again…
Why We Should Sign Up to be 5 again…
by Holly Hunting Martin
Posted by: holly
Yes, my hyper yet sleep deprived peri menopausal self is writing this at nearly 4 am Iowa time….of course the inspiration behind the following is my 5 year old, Sydney Irene:
Why we should sign up to be 5 years old again:
1. A 5 year old child thinks it’s cool to go to the dentist and get dental floss in berry flavor. Sydney thought so yesterday (Thursday)…she also scored a gecko toothbrush holder thing….complete with a treat bag. She has been smiling all day….lovely pearly whites my kid has. Floss on 5 year old!
2. When a female child is 5 they do not have 45 year old female issues. Meaning: peri menopausal insomnia (check out what time I am writing this and sending it to you….yikes)
And they also know how to work the remote(s) and anything else electronic in one’s household far better than the 45 year old female brain can grasp.
3. 5 year old children take delight in apple juice that comes in a box with mouth size appropriate straws. These same straws are packaged in annoying cellophane. Packaged of course by the same rocket scientists that package children’s toys which require a machete to open. What school did these Packaging People graduate from? Do you really think someone is going to steal that Polly Pocket thing? Why must it be tied into the box with 500 twisty things. What a waste! Poor abused landfills….
4. They also think it is cool when Mommy buys them gummi worms and a ‘big girl’ bottle of water at Walmart. And then the 5 year old suddenly forgets about that Shrek 3 stuff they spied at said store…so Mommy skates out of the purchasing deal for about $2 vs. about $25. Gotta love 5 year old attention spans (lack of).
5. A 5 year old child has absolutely NO concept of time. This perhaps could be a good thing for adults if we could get away with it. Sydney still thinks Max’s Race is this weekend so she can run with her buddy, Will.
6. 5 year old children are gleeful: they walk with Mommy to the Rose Garden at the park in the neighborhood…diligently pushing Bitty Baby along in her stroller….with 6 pennies she was given to toss in the fountain at the Rose Garden. But, only agrees to go on said walk after carefully placing the 6 pennies in the bottom of the over priced doll stroller she scored for her 5th birthday…and of course counts them out…in Spanish. The stroller was a rip off…not to mention the Bitty Baby doll. But, worth it as the 5 year old will pass this on to her daughter….someday.
7. Little 5 year old children will dance like the wind is chasing them as they toss 6 pennies into the fountain at the Rose Garden. They will race around, smiling at everyone….engaging everyone in conversation. Everyone wants to talk to a 5 year old child….interesting how ‘Everyone’ doesn’t want to talk with other ‘everyone’ adults.
8. A 5 year old child will be oblivious to the fact that there are some really scary people at the Burger King play world. Point being that Mommy sticks up for not allowing grown ups to use foul and evil language in the presence of children….hers….or others. And Mommy fetches the Burger King Manager to make the situation right for all present. Even at the expense of a crazy lady who told Mommy off (and that is putting it nicely….Mommy was a little scared given the kooks in the world these days. This was on Wednesday. Burger King is now officially ‘closed’ to the 5 year old.)
9. Emphatic 5 year old children will toss coins into the fountain at the Rose Garden on a postage stamp Thursday…on the last day of May……look over at Mommy and say, “I tossed those pennies in there for Aunt Beth and Uncle Bill. Mommy, he will be okay.” At this point, Mommy fights back tears of fear for people she loves….and tears of joy that her child has such a beautiful heart.
10. A 5 year old child will unconditionally tell Mommy (and Daddy) over and over again that she loves you…and needs one more hug before bedtime…one more kiss…..and then she kisses and hugs you. Thirteen times…and the next bedtime Mommy and Daddy will receive 14 hugs and 14 kisses as it will be June 1st. How the 5 year old understands this when she doesn’t understand that Max’s Race is July 7 and not this weekend…don’t know. Just know Mommy loves her kisses and hugs…and reciprocates with a happy heart.
The above is a brief snapshot of approximately 24 hours with my miracle Sydney Irene. Thought I would share it with you as I think we should all sign up to be 5 years old once more. If any of you figure out how to time travel back to 5 please let me know.
~Any conversation with Holly was guaranteed to include “Carpe Diem” Seize the Day, and end with Godspeed. Any mention of an individual or agency needs was attacked head on with an action plan. Seize The Day, when you see an opportunity, embrace it. YOU can make a difference for your family, your friends, your workplace, your employer, maybe even your city…Seize The Day! Godspeed, Holly!~